Thursday, May 30, 2013

Traffic Signs

I get a charge out of seeing the differences in traffic signs between here and the UK. One thing I found interesting is that traffic lights use the yellow light when they change from red to green as well as from green to red. A sign I saw in horse country but wasn’t able to catch a picture of it said, “No racing of horse-drawn vehicles.”

Here are some additional signs. (Please excuse the out of focus pictures; they were taken from a moving vehicle. While I probably passed some of these signs while walking, I wasn’t thinking then about taking pictures of signs.)



Do Not Enter – I don’t remember seeing any one-way signs, just these signs indicating no entry.



This sign speaks for itself. I like the fact that, if a car breaks down in a construction area, the driver doesn’t have to foot the bill for the tow. That is very civilized.



This sign shows two different things. A speed bump is called a hump; and, instead of measuring things in feet like we do, they say that something is so many yards ahead. I found myself having to do math in my head to figure out how far away something was. I just don't think in terms of yards.



We’d say, “Slow Down” but even though it is wordier, I like “Kill Your Speed!”



This sign means NO STOPPING and the next one means NO WAITING.



There's a subtle difference between the two signs. Don’t you have to stop to wait? As near as I could figure out from what our coach driver said, stopping means you have parked and left the vehicle. Waiting means that you are stopped but are still in the vehicle.



They say “site traffic”; we’d say “construction traffic.”



It’s a truck with a weight limit. It is so clear! We should do it this way.



This is “yield” in a kinder, gentler universe…


No comments:

Post a Comment